Saturday 14 May 2011

My little bit of heaven, some treasures and a mystery...

I make no excuses for this post being picture heavy because I wanted to record just how lovely our garden is at the mo.  I consider it our little bit of heaven because, even though we live in the middle of a village, when out the back of the house you don't hear the noise from traffic and the bird song is amazing.
So I'm going to take you for a little walk with my camera....

 I have taken the first picture from the patio door in the kitchen....this is the view I see every day  :-)
 I walk as far as the greenhouse and swing to the left and this is what I look at....notice the new fence is progressing well.
 A little further and you can now see the willow tree on the left [the new cut out door way is round the back of it].  In the middle of the picture you can see the wooden arch with the wisteria on.
 This is the lower part of the garden with the veg patch at the bottom [this is where Twiglet spends many a happy hour planting the veg].
 Beyond the veg patch is our 'back to nature' part of the garden with a path leading to the bird hide and log pile for all the little creatures to live.  I love the peace of just sitting down here watching the birds.....we have put up feeders and bird houses amongst the trees and it's definitely become a little bit of heaven down there.  The wild flowers can possibly be seen if you click to enlarge the picture.
 Here you can see the stars of the show.  They must be 3 of the luckiest little dogs out to have all this wonderful space to run freely in.
 I have now turned round to head back to the house and the view from the bottom is just as gorgeous  :-)
 We have a little gravel path  through the middle of the gardens and if you zoom in you will see Wispa playing peep through the archway  :-)
Nearly home now  :-)  Rocky, Wispa and Skye are ahead of me waiting for their breakfast.






I have snapped a few of the treasure I found on my way round.....
I love the variegated leaf and the pretty apple blossom coloured flowers on this Weigela.
 This clematis has thankfully survived the winter and now coming into bloom....It's called Josephine  :-)
 The Peony in now at it's best but the wind and rain very quickly knock off the blossoms because they are so heavy.
The Wisteria is just gorgeous.










And finally I have a question for all the gardening experts out there.....
What is this?
It is growing in front of our greenhouse, has huge slightly furry leaves and is now nearly 3 foot tall! with no sign of a flower as yet.
We have no idea what it is so have left it to grow to see what it develops into  :-)

I'm sorry to say the comments I had have now been deleted and along with that were the suggestions of what my mystery plant might be.  :-(  Looks like it will be a wait and see what grows  :-) 

20 comments:

Michelle Palmer said...

So beautiful~ thank you for sharing your special place! Hope you have sunshine on your shoulders today... and laughter!

Deanne said...

What a beautiful garden :)
Our new garden is big and needs so much work, but I'm slowly working on it, I've got some lovely ideas from your photos now, so thank you :) xxx

and i have no idea what that plant is!!! would love to know though x

Sue Pinner said...

wow!..didn't realise you had such a fab big garden...l spent month cultivating a fabulous weed once hehe
Hope it produces a lovely flower for you
Hugs x

Sue Pinner said...

Hi..is it this...Lamb's ear: Stachys byzantina Helene Von Stein?
Hugs x

Twiglet said...

Fab post Annie!! Whatever the plant is - there is one exactly the same growing on the building site next door to M!

Annie said...

Thanks Suz but I know what Lamb's ear looks like [in fact I think we have one somewhere in the wilderness] but this has much bigger leaves and only one main stem.
A x

Di said...

Hi Annie - you took the words out of my mouth in your gorgeous post here. It does look a bit like Heaven - thanks for a lovely little (or big!) trip round the garden. No idea what the plant is though:( Di x

Felted House said...

I made all your photos big so I could have a proper look! What a wonderful garden, full of so many different moods and atmospheres, I thought mine was large but yours is just enormous in comparison, what lucky, lucky dogs!
I have found a Weigela just the same in my mum's garden, very pretty. I don't recognise your plant, but like another of your friends I too spent ages lovingly cultivating a giant mystery plant that turned out to be a weed - so I really hope this one isn't! My only guess is some form of giant verbascum as these tend to have silvery-grey leaves and huge flower spikes, there's one called Verbascum bombyciferum, you could google it and see if it looks similar, keep us posted on its progress! xx

Short Poems said...

What a beautiful garden, amazing images. love it!
Short Poems

BadPenny said...

I think it may be a Triffid !!!
No idea I'm afraid but it's a lot bigger than my mystery plant !

shazsilverwolf said...

Oh MY! What a fabulous garden. I'm not positive, but your mystery plant may possibly be Burdock- as in dandelion & Burdock. if it is, it will get small, almost thistle like flowers, which form the burs- they hook onto everything!lol. Shaz #106

Tina Gilmore said...

Ooooohhhhh, i love your garden Annie, wish i'd had a good look around when i was there, bt it did look like it was going to rain. No idea what that plant is...have you tried smoking it? xxxx he he !

mountainear said...

Fabulous garden - it just seems to go on forever in its loveliness.

I'd guess the mystery plant is a Verbascum....

Tracey said...

Lovely! I have a big one too.....garden that is, although everything else is big too! Ours is not as neat & tidy as yours though!! xxxxxxxxxx

Julia Dunnit said...

Beautiful garden Annie - lots of work I know, but really lovely. It's not luck - it's dedication.

Macpurp said...

these are beautiful pictures, I adore the one of the wee dog trundling away up the steps.
Thanks for sharing
Love Teen xx

Mrs A. said...

Erm!!! Do you live in a mansion then? Absolutely gorgeous garden.
Hugs Mrs A.

mckinkle said...

Such a stunning garden Annie, really awesome!

You can take me on a trip round your garden anytime as it is so beautiful!

Keryn x

C said...

Beautiful...love the green house and the garden path...we have the room, now just to convince the DH it's a good idea.

lisa said...

I'm coming to live at your house, what an amazing garden. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one this size although my family would never see me. How lucky you are. Your mystery plant looks like a Verbascum to me. If it is you'll get a tall yellow flower spike eventually. I shall watch with interest.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful space.
Hugs Lisax