Wednesday 22 January 2014

My version of a knitted square...



Several have asked for the pattern that I use to knit my squares with.  I get bored easily with straight knitted squares and the pattern I originally used for the diagonal squares was rather more complicated so it needed concentration and watching telly too was out of the question so I have designed my own version...these I can almost knit in my sleep now [just hope you can understand my instructions].  Here is what I do to come up with a square that measures about 4 1/2" or about 11 1/2cm.

 

As requested here is a picture of one I made earlier so you can see what the squares look like when made up and edged.  :-)  Your wish is my command :-)



Using double knitting wool and 4mm needles throughout cast on 3 stitches.

1st row Yfwd, k3  4 stitches
2nd row Yfwd, k4  5 stitches
3rd row Yfwd, k5  6 stitches
4th row Yfwd, k6  7 stitches
5th row Yfwd, k7  8 stitches
Continue in this fashion until you have 35 stitches on your needle

33rd row K2tog k33  34stitches
34th row  K2tog p31 k1  33 stitches
35th row K2tog k31  32 stitches
36th row K2tog k30  31 stitches
37th row K2tog yfwd, [yrn p2tog] 14 times. k1  30 stitches
38th row K2tog k28  29 stitches

Rows 33 to 38  form the pattern.  Continue like this reducing stitches as you go til you get to

61st row  K2tog yfwd, [yrn, p2tog] twice, k1.  6 stitches
62nd row  K2tog, k4   5 stitches
63rd row  K2tog, k3  4 stitches
64th row S1, k3tog psso.
Cast off.

I hope this all makes sense to you but if you need more instructions please just ask.
Hugs,
Annie x

16 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Cheers Annie, you're a star. It's more fun than a straight square, that's for sure :-)
Hugs, LLJ xxxxxx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

WOW! Annie that is really wonderful now if was knitter would be out doing it ...

I can but prefer to crotchet any day ..lovely shade, too - have you a pickie made up would be great to see too, Shaz in oz.x #7

Ann B said...

Lovely colour Annie, havent done any knitting for a good twelve months but when I see any on a blog I want to get going. So much to do.....
Thanks for visiting earlier, always a pleasure to have you drop by.
Ann B
36

Karen said...

ooo now I can see the pattern more I can see that its going to be a fabulous blanket Annie!!!! xxx

Artyjen said...

Great looking pattern for the squares...if I was into knitting I'd certainly give it a go....but I've never liked it much!! LOL
xoxo Sioux

Karen said...

Oh that is gorgeous Annie, thank you xxx

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea what you have just said, but my word do I ever like your square!
I've always harboured a mild jealousy of those that can knit and crochet. I am determined to learn one day.

Thanks for sharing.

Zoe #32

Mrs A. said...

Now that really is a pretty pattern and depending on how you sew them together will give the blanket a different look too. Thanks for the pattern. Completely understood it. hugs Mrs A.

Susanne said...

Oh those colors are just dreamy. Susanne #66

pearshapedcrafting said...

Gorgeous colours! I must say I haven't done any knitting for years but this might be the push I need! Thanks for visiting, Chris 60

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Annie
oh thanks for the pattern I might give that a go when I get the chance ... more interesting than straight squares which I must admit would bore me to death, but this is a great idea as it could easily be mixed up again.
have a great wek
janet #9

Lea.H said...

thats lovely, looks so different and lovely. i cant knit so have no idea what the pattern means but would love to learn one day Lx

glitterandglue said...

Annie, thank you for the pattern!! That little blanket looks just great - well done.
Margaret #7

Julia Dunnit said...

I do t understand a word. But it's lovely of you to share. And typical.

Neet said...

Wow what fabulous squares. I could be seen flashing needles some time soon.

Hope all is well with you, have I missed anything. Often think of you and wonder how things are progressing.

Hugs, Neet 87 xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

Such a fab pattern thanks! Take care Zo xx 59